9/6/07

Dear Andy Roddick,

Hey Andy, it's me, Philthy. How's it going?

Listen,I know you're probably really tired from that match against Roger last night. I just wanted to let you know that I think you played really great. You left it all out on the court for the first two and a half sets, and I respect that.

Granted, there have been many times during your career that I've rooted for you, and you've let me down. I think during Wimbledon this year when you lost to Gasquet, I said, "That's it, I'm never cheering for Andy Roddick again! You Suck!" or something like that. But I couldn't do it, Andy. I couldn't not cheer for you in the US Open. Even though I knew that you'd eventually have to play Federer, and he'd most likely kick your butt again, you can't not cheer for the Americans in the US Open. What am I? A Commie?

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you didn't disappoint me too badly. Sure you lost in straight sets, but you played your best, and that's all that matters (isn't' that what our Mom's used to tell us? Just do your best.) Keep playing hard and I know one day you'll beat Roger (hopefully.) And for now, I'll keep cheering you on in hopes that you'll be that revitalizing spark that US Men's Tennis desperately needs. But if you lose to one more no name in the early rounds of some tournament, I swear to everything holy, I'll punch you right it the babymakers.

Tootles,
Philthy

1 comment:

the_dude said...

Sometimes, one finds words written by others that resonate so strongly within the self, that one almost feels violated at how masterfully the author has hit upon a deep sentiment and truth held within. Philthy, now is one of those times. I didn't even know I wanted to punch Andy in the babymaker if he gets out in the first round of any tournament again, but apparently, I do. Thank you for your honesty, your keen fashion sense, and most of all, your seething frustration and disappointment with American men's tennis. After all, they really deserve it.