12/7/07

That was one hell of a Corned Beef Sandwich, or Enjoying the Simple Things in Life

So I know that I said I'd do some more consistent posting...but I lied. Deal with it.

Regardless here's something I've been thinking about lately

Rarely living in a large city like Chicago do you get the opportunity to enjoy the real simplicities of life, but lately, the simple things have been making my day. A couple weeks ago I picked up my friend, Kate from the train station and we stopped in the Gold Coast for dinner. We wandered into Dublin's pub...which is, in my opinion, an ideal Irish pub. Dark wood, good beer on tap, and simple quality food. I wasn't sure what I wanted so I just ordered a corned beef sandwich, since it's something I rarely get. When it came out, I could tell this was going to be a life altering experience. A huge pile of freshly cut corned beef between two pieces of rye bread. No special sauces, gourmet cheeses, or organic greens on the side. Pure, simple, delicious. Clearly this sandwich has made an impression on me, since it's been two weeks, and it's the first thing I write about. If you'd ask Kate, she'll tell you I haven't shut up about this thing for weeks.

Sure, some would say that a sandwich is an unusual thing to help you put your life in perspective, but for me it's always been those small simple things. Like driving on the interstate with the windows down blasting Boston's "More than a Feeling." Standing outside during the first snowfall of the year, cool wind in your face, catching snowflakes on your tongue. Or the next morning when the fallen snow muffles the busy sounds of the city, and you experience a rare peaceful silence.

The simple things folks...that's where it's at.

No comments: