12/18/07

Thoughts on Seattle

I recently took a long weekend trip to Seattle to visit a couple friends that live out there. I don't know what it is, but Seattle has always appealed to me, even before I ever stepped foot in the city. Maybe it's the eclectic nature of it, the way it's secludedly tucked away in the top left hand corner of the map. Maybe it's just that it's far away...and everything far away is always better than what's here. And since I've been there a couple times, I've developed a sort of love-hate relationship with it.

The weather in Seattle, 60% of the time is horrible. Rainy, chilly, rainy, soggy, gray, cloudy, rainy. Day in and day out. From October through April: Rain. While the rain isn't the type of gale force thunderstorms we get in the Midwest, it's almost worse because it's constantly moist. I'm sure you're saying to yourself..."Phil, why don't you just go there in the summer. It's 75 and sunny for 4 months straight." And to you I would say, I don't know, but that's a great idea. But I didn't do that, and no one really asked you, just shut up and read, will ya!

Anyway, back to what I was saying. I feel like I understand Seattle, because (at least weather-wise) Chicago is pretty similar. The winter is brutal, and if someone was to only visit in the winter, I'm sure they'd hate it here. But living in Chicago during the summer makes it worth having to put up with the harsh winter. I'm sure the people of Seattle will say the same thing.

I think the real reason I pine for Seattle is because two of the things I love in life, food and music, are prominent there. The musical history that has poured out of Seattle over the years makes it any music lovers dream. For people in their late 20s, in particular, Seattle influenced the way we listen to music, since during our formative years, Pearl Jam and Nirvana, emerged from that area. We spent a rainy Saturday afternoon at the Experience Music Project, and interactive music museum. Recommended.

And there are several gastronomic wonders located along the sloped streets of Seattle. There's no better place to get fresh seafood pulled right out of the Pacific. One recommendation I can make is Purple, a wine bar and restaurant that is continually rated as one of the top in the city. I had an amazing Filet Mignon with garlic & porchini mushroom butter, and my friend had a Lobster Macaroni and Cheese that melted in your mouth. The great thing about Seattle, is that these great quality restaurants are scattered all over the city. Plus, if you like to cook, there's no better place to pick out fresh ingredients than the famed Pike Place Market, home of the flying fish!

If you're looking for a nice long weekend, Seattle is a good bet, especially in the summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least Chicago only sucks during the winter...spring, summer, and fall are good.

Anonymous said...

i hear portland's where it's at.
l.a. kinda blows.