8/14/07

Dear America,

Let me be the first one to say that I love this country. But America, there are certain times when I question your decisions. For instance, this weekend, the number one movie at the box office was "Rush Hour 3." You forked over nearly $50 million in 3 days. At an average of $9 per ticket, that's over 4 million of you that saw this movie. Tell me, what were you thinking?

Now, America, I'm a rational man, I could forgive you if this was just a single incident. But it wasn't, was it? Let me refresh your memory.

March 5, 2007 I wake up on a Monday morning, ready to face the day. It was a beautiful spring day here in Chicago, and I could feel the vivacity in the air. I was on my way to work, perusing the paper, when I turned to the Entertainment section. Then I saw what you did. You spent $39 million that weekend to see the brilliant film "Wild Hogs." John Travolta, Tim Allen, Martin Lawrence, and William H Macy on a motorcycle trip across the country...in leather. Seriously...this was appealing? So appealing in fact, you decided to spend a total of $167 million supporting it. You make me sick.

As if that wasn't enough I remember last summer, I was in line to see the "Pirates of the Caribbean" sequel, and as I approached the marquee...I noticed that "Little Man" was sold out on 2 SCREENs! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I turned to a couple people standing in line near me and asked them "Am I seeing things, or is 'Little Man' actually sold out?" To which they replied "Yeah man, I know. We have to see something else too." If it were legal I would have sterilized those two people right then and there, so they wouldn't continue to populate the world with bad decision making skills.

Here are a couple clues to let you know this movie was going to be horrible:
1st, Marlon Wayans (as a man playing a baby.)
2nd, Shawn Wayans (you remember "white chicks", don't you?)
3rd, if you recall from childhood, this movie's plot was actually portrayed wonderfully by Bugs Bunny in a Loony Toons piece. Of course Bugs Bunny (who is an animated character designed for the amusement of children, let me remind you) managed to tell the story in 8 minutes, not 109 minutes. 109 minutes of gut wrenching torture.

Even though IMDB has named this movie the 5th worst film of all time, you spent nearly $60 million to see it.

Now, America, I know that change is possible, but I also acknowledge that it won't happen over night. I'm sure you'll stumble a few more times, but I'm urging you to please stop seeing these movies. You're just giving the people in Hollywood an excuse to keep making them.

Sincerely,
Philthy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I felt this way when my friend invited me to see "Chuck and Larry."

Jeremiah said...

What?? You didn't like Wild Hogs?

Four guys from the suburbs hit the road... and the road hit back.
It's like I always said - A lot can happen on the road to nowhere.

J.T. - said...

"Wild Hogs"

Loved it.

the_dude said...

Please contact me, as I have several hundred thousand dollars I would like to invest in getting this letter published as a full page ad in the New York Times, the LA times, and the Chicago Tribune. Let's be part of the solution Philthy.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to make fun of you for thinking that Pirates of the Caribbean was a good enough movie that you paid probably at least $10 to see the sequel.

Bryan and I were even IN the Caribbean when we watched Pirates of the Caribbean and we couldn't stomach it.

So duly note that I have just made fun of you Phil.

That is all my friend.

-Teresa