8/23/07

Impulse

A couple years ago i read book, a comedic memoir really, in which the narrator described this odd impulse he had to touch other people on the head. It wasn't constant, but every once and a while an urge would come along and he would have to touch someone on the head. Often it was at very inappropriate times, like on an airplane or while at a sporting event. Eventually the author had to come up with very creative ways to satisfy his odd desire.

I always thought that this was a little odd until I started thinking about the weird impulses that I have, and how lucky I am that usually I can suppress them. For instance, no matter where I am, when i see a police officer in full uniform...I want to grab their gun out of their holster. I don't want to shoot it, I just want to grab it. Or sometimes, I'll see someone walking down the street, and I'll just want to punch them in the face, because they look like they deserve it. I very rarely do this.

Open your hearts, internets. Do you have any random impulses?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also want to take the police officer's gun, just to see if I could. I'd give it back.

Sometimes when everything is really quiet at church or at a wedding I think about what would happen if I screamed really loud.

Teresa

the_dude said...

Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. Every day of my life, and by that I mean every Monday through Friday, and by that I mean every Monday through Friday that I go to work, I want to grab the gun of one of the guards at work. Especially when they are only halfway paying attention to me and talking to another guard. I will have this impulse every working day of my life.

J.T. - said...

When I'm walking down the street, I want to kick people right in the face or stomach. A kick that makes me look like I'm a serious ninja or karate guy. And people all around are like, "What the?" And they take little steps to move away from me.

Also, when Lindsey and I are checking out at the grocery store, I always want to make a loud beeping sound every time an item is scanned.

The General said...

Whenever I get a pop out of the pop machine, as I'm walking back to the stairs I always have a sudden urge to throw the pop as hard as I can at the glass doors, or the glass window that the secretary sits behind.

Anonymous said...

often when i ride in a car (not driving) and i see the door is unlocked, i get the urge to open it. so then i lock the doors so that i can pull the handle with no result.